Ubuntu in my netbook

First of all a desclaimer. I don’t work for Ubuntu or Acer. Neither they are gonna pay me anything for writing in their favour.

It is been quite a while that I have been using my Acer Aspire one netbook. I purchased it back in Jan, 2008 with windows XP home edition preloaded. I really liked the small form factor it had. And more over it was pretty much useful for a lot of document viewing, editing. But over a couple of weeks it started getting slower. It got so much slow that it use to take around 10 mins just to boot. The solution? switch to ubuntu netbook remix.

I completely wiped out my hdd by removing Windows XP I started using Ubuntu. The performance difference was significant. The computer was booting faster. I even started doing things that I never expected this computer to perform. I did complete Grails development in it using NetBeans as IDE and the Grails framework installed right into it (And I still do). Even my very good friend Pradeep installed whole LAMP stack in it and did some of his own website works right from this little machine. Believe me he was running live production grade websites from this machine

I still remember the amazed look of Mr. Kamal Govindraj a J2EE veteran when he saw me running his grails site right from my acer aspire one.

After I got married I gave this laptop to my wife. She uses it rigorously for all her computer related activities like net surfing, chatting, emailing etc. etc. Occasionally I still do dev on it. And hope to do so for at least couple of more years to come Smile

The conclusion it rather simple. In case you are using a netbook Ubuntu definitely makes a great choice.

Comments

This is one of the excellent post.I like your blog reviews.Nice to read about your post .Good.

Popular posts from this blog

Configure Netbeans For Android development

Configuring CI pipeline in Jenkins for PHP projects

Configure Netbeans for Apache TomEE and OpenJPA